Q&A with Dan Andrews
1. Please describe your memoir, Sons of Suicide, in three words. In three words, Sons of Suicide is cathartic, emotional, and helpful.
2. Why did you decide to write a memoir about this painful time in your life? My main motivation for writing Sons of Suicide was that I encountered a great deal of people struggling with tragedy. As a result of these encounters, though, I discovered that no one had written a book dealing with the topic of suicide in an intimate and personal manner. Everything I could find was generally taken from a how-to or psychological approach. So, realizing that I had an opportunity to share my particularly unique insights and stories, I set out trying to help and fulfill a need for people.
3. You're donating $1 for every book sold to the Will to Live Foundation. Why is this organization important to you? The Will to Live Foundation is special to me because they are focused on preventing teen suicide and bringing attention to the epidemic that is currently taking place in our country. It seemed congruent to pair with their specific organization since a large portion of Sons of Suicide takes place in my teen years.
4. What advice would you give some who has lost someone to suicide? This is always difficult to answer simply because the grieving process takes so long and can vary so much from individual to individual. My advice would be that, although someone you loved could not find any more reason to continue living life on earth, it doesn’t mean that you don’t have a reason. If you can find no other meaning to living your life in the face of such a personal tragedy, at least find meaning in the fact that right now your job is to suffer well and proudly and to carry the memories of the person that you loved.
5. What's next for you? Right now I am currently in the process of publishing the journals of a young man who committed a school shooting. The current working title is The Journals of Taylor Hart. It should be available sometime this spring.
6. Where can our readers purchase Sons of Suicide? Sons of Suicide can be purchased at:
Amazon http://amzn.com/0615729118 and Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sons-of-suicide-dan-andrews/1113982169?ean=9780615729114
as well as the Apple Bookstore, Kobo, and Smashwords.
You can also feel free to get in touch with me at http://www.facebook.com/sonsofsuicide, www.sonsofsuicide.com, and on twitter @thedanimal1991
About the book: "An insightful, viscerally emotional memoir, Sons of Suicide relates the story of a young man's life after losing his Mother to suicide—and succeeding, in spite of experiencing one of the most devastating tragedies known to man.
At eleven, Dan Andrews was abandoned by his Mother. Fatefully, she made the timeless drive down Lake Shore Drive in downtown Chicago, parked her car alongside Buckingham Fountain, and, after sitting and smoking a few last cigarettes, drowned herself in Lake Michigan.
His Mother's grave decision has given Andrews the ability to perceive and contemplate loss in a way not written about in recent history. Shared with brutal vulnerability and skill, sprinkled with humor and sexuality, Sons of Suicide masterfully entertains and enlightens the reader— serving as a catharsis to the feeling of loss, a feeling to which all humans relate.
The author, Dan Andrews, has also pledged for every copy of Sons of Suicide that is sold, one dollar out of his personal royalty will be donated to the Will To Live Foundation, visit their website for more information about this wonderful organization that is spreading awareness and helping with the teen suicide epidemic. Purchase today to help put an end to suicide."